The Grumblies

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Grumblies

Esther is #5 of 6 children and 3 1/2 years old. The other morning Ruth (9yo) was trying to help Esther pour her cereal and Esther was refusing help. She finaly shouted out "No! I need a Mommy to help me!" I have made more of an effort to spend more time with Esther by herself. Any recommendations for great books we can read together?
PS I'm glad that the older children help out so much!

I introduced Esther to our much used copy of NO, DAVID yesterday, and she made me read it 3 times. (In the book, a little boy is naughty in lots of different ways and his mother has to chastise him all day, but in the end she still loves him) . Later that evening she got Charlie to read it to her and then they played No, David, taking turns being the David or the Mommy or Daddy. Fortunately, they didn't really try any of David's actics!

6 Comments:

  • Here are 2 that Amelia really enjoys. Noisy Nora, about a little girl who is naughty because she has to wait for SOMEONE to pay attention to her. The other is called Fun With Oink and Pearl, about a brother and a sister and their silly misunderstandings and how they work through them in the end. The one that I love to read to her is called Mother Outside Mother Inside (or is it Mother Inside, Mother Outside?) It is about a pregnant woman and a mother bird. The woman gets her home ready for the new baby and watches the bird through the window getting her nest ready for her babies. (I am not pregnant- so this is not a hint or an announcement) The kids like to hear about how exciting it was waiting for them to be born and how happy they are now they are here.

    By Blogger TracyS., at 5:41 PM  

  • That should say "how happy WE are now they are here!"

    By Blogger TracyS., at 6:49 AM  

  • All right... I wish I could figure out how to edit what I wrote. It's actually "Mama Outside, Mama Inside" and I really like the illustrations.

    By Blogger TracyS., at 2:03 PM  

  • Thanks for the suggestions! Now we have something to look for at the library instead of just finding books at random. Those sound like good books!

    By Blogger amphvivian, at 12:51 PM  

  • There is a very sweet book that Jimmy gave Joshua for Christmas one year called "The Kissing Hand." It is about a little boy racoon who is nervous to go to school for the first time. Even though Esther is not going to school for a while, I think she may enjoy the tender nature of the story. Also, a story that Mom sent us recently called "Just for You" by Mercer Meyer is about a small child who tries to "help" his/her (I can't tell which) mother throughout the day. It sounds similar to "No David." I'll let you know if I think of any others.

    By Blogger Leslie, at 3:14 PM  

  • Charlie is very enthusiastic about the kissing hand--they read it in kindergarten. We will look for Just for You also, I have a vague memory of it and it sounds good! Thanks!

    By Blogger amphvivian, at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home